Wednesday, January 28, 2009

That's a lot of soup...

I was making dinner the other night and needed to open a can of olives. As I watched the can spin around on my electric can opener, I realized that I had received that can opener as a wedding gift. 16 1/2 years ago. I figure I open about 5 cans a week times 198 weeks of marriage. That's 990 cans that have been opened by that can opener. Then I began to think of other things that I still use that I got as wedding gifts. The blender, toaster, kitchen knives, silverware, dish towels, popcorn popper, mixer, crock pot, and several mixing bowls are some of the things that came to mind as I stood in the kitchen. Then I thought about things that are used in the rest of the house. Like the clock that hangs on the living room wall. And the bath towels and wash cloths in the hall closet. And various frames that hang throughout the house. It seems amazing that so many things have lasted so long. The towels are starting to get worn and my crock pot hasn't had a knob for a long time, but everything still does what it's supposed to. So, I'm thinking about starting a new tradition. When a couple celebrates their 20th wedding anniversary, I think they should get an anniversary shower. A big party to celebrate their marriage complete with balloons and cake and gifts. All their friends can shower them with congratulations and new kitchen appliances. I only have three and a half years to get this trend started. Because I figure that's about when my can opener will give out.

4 comments:

Bay Views said...

Check out Bayviews. I'm looking for lovers for a valentines issue. Herb

Unknown said...

I think that's a GREAT idea! Plus everything probably is going to give out at once, and who wants to buy 15 different appliances at once?

Katrina said...

I fully support your idea, Jen. (Especially since I only have six years to go!)

Anonymous said...

Keep your appliances. I want a trip to Hawaii for our 20th!