Saturday, January 10, 2009

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I was in the waiting room at the hospital waiting to see my sister and new niece. I was sitting there with Julianna playing happily on my lap. She is absolutely adorable and often gets noticed by strangers. About the fifth person to notice her was an elderly (and as you will see, slightly confused) lady who was out walking the halls. She came over to get a closer look and asked, "How old is he*?" To which I replied, "SHE'S seven months old." (She was wearing a green camouflaged sweatshirt with pink roses on it and pink pants.) "Oh," she said, "Are you her...(wait for it)... GRANDMOTHER?" After the shock wore off, I informed her that I was, in fact, her mother. I know that I am of advanced maternal age (36), but that is ridiculous!

*It doesn't matter if Julianna is dressed in pink from head to toe and covered with a pink blanket, holding a doll, somebody (usually an older lady) asks if she is a boy or girl. It's very strange.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had the same experience where people think that pink-clad Lily is a boy. What kind of sick people dress their little boy in head-to-toe pink? I've never been mistaken for her grandmother (which by the way is pretty darn funny) but I've often got the old "When are you expecting" thing when I have a baby right there in my arms... as recently as the craft fair so apparently I need to go on a diet or something :)

Katrina said...

Definitely a confused lady (or one with eyesight problems!) I don't see how in the world anyone could mistake you for Jules' grandmother (except maybe in one of those cultures where girls are married and popping out babies at age sixteen. I suppose in that scenario, you could be a grandma...)

I always got the boy/girl questions about the kids, too, no matter what I dressed them in. Some people just don't really look, I think.

Anonymous said...

If I am not sure, I always ask, "How old is your baby?" That has saved me some embarrassment in the past. I guess that I could just keep my mouth shut. On second thought, no, I couldn't. You do not look old enough to be a grandmother. But then again, neither does your mother. I was thinking, however, how nice it was that you waited for your little sister so that your children could be playmates. What a blessing to be part of such a close family! I never got to be waiting at the hospital for any of my nieces or nephews.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Marci is anonymous today. I don't know why.